When it comes to longboarding, having the right fins is essential. Not only do they provide stability while you ride, but they also help you control your speed and maneuver your board with precision.
With so many different types of longboard fins available on the market, finding the right one can be a challenge. That’s why we have put together a list of the best longboard fins to make choosing easier.
My Criteria for selection: I research the top rated products. Read all positive and negative reviews. I also interact with those having the product. Finally, indicated by my tests and drawing from my experience, I rate the products.
We will look at different fin shapes and sizes to ensure that you find the perfect one for your needs.
Whether you are looking for something with more grip or more speed, there is something here for everyone.
So strap on those shoes and let’s get going!
Best Fins for your longboard
AQUA 9 Slide-In Fin
|Product Name||AQUA 9” Slide-In Fin|
|Compatible Board Setups||2+1 or Single Fin|
|Recommended Skill Level||Beginner and Advanced|
|Benefits||Provides stability, tracking, smooth transitions and turns|
|Materials||Top quality, durable materials|
|Center Fin Size||9 inches|
|Compatibility||Compatible with most brands and models|
|Application||Suitable for surfboards, paddle boards, long boards, and kayaks|
|Installation||Easy DIY installation with no tools or screws required|
|Package Dimensions||12.6 x 7.2 x 0.4 inches|
|Package Weight||0.19 Kilograms|
The Aqua 9 is a versatile and reliable fin that works great for any 2 1 or single fin set up.
Its stability and smooth transitions make it a favorite among surfers of all levels.
When paired with the 9′ x 23” x 3” Hybrid Epoxy Softtop construction, the Aqua 9 provides a real surfboard feel with its grippy foam top. No wax necessary!
This fin’s compatibility with various board styles makes it a valuable addition to anyone’s surfing gear.
So if youare looking for a dependable and versatile fin, the Aqua 9 is definitely worth checking out.
- Easy to install and remove
- Sturdy and high-quality replacement fin
- Fits perfectly on some paddleboards and SUPs
- Great value for the price
- Provides stability and withstands abuse
- Suitable for both beginner and advanced paddlers
- May not fit certain brands or models of paddleboards and SUPs (e.g. Retrospec Weekender Plus)
- Some customers experienced difficulty with fitting the fin properly.
THURSO SURF Paddleboard Fin
|Sport Type||SUP Paddling|
|Compatibility||HyperLite (Costco), Bluefin, Blackfin, FBSPORT, GILI, Hatha, iRocker, Jobe, Nautical, PEAK, DriftSun, Coasto, and others|
|Convenience||Tool-less Quick Lock and Release Mechanism, Bonus Paddle Board Fin Clip Included|
|Performance||Helps the board travel in a straight line, minimizes drag, balances speed and stability, suitable for all wave conditions|
|Robustness||Made of reinforced nylon, resistant to all kinds of abrasion, fin depth 8” base 6”|
|Satisfaction Guarantee||100% guaranteed satisfaction|
|Center fin dimensions||Base: 6” (15 cm), Depth: 8” (20 cm)|
|Side fin dimensions||Base: 3.5” (9 cm), Depth: 5” (13 cm)|
|Package Dimensions||11 x 7.4 x 0.7 inches|
|Package Weight||0.23 Kilograms|
The THURSO SURF Paddleboard Fin Replacement is a must-have accessory for any stand up paddleboard enthusiast.
It’s easy to install and does not require any tools to snap in place.
Compatible with many SUP brands such as HyperLite, Bluefin, Blackfin, and FBSPORT, this fin replacement is made from high-quality nylon material for durability.
It is available in both center fin and side fin options, giving you the flexibility to choose what works best for you.
The THURSO SURF Paddleboard Fin Replacement is part of a wide variety of SUP fins available on desertcart Mongolia, giving you the freedom to explore and find the perfect fit for your paddle boarding style and activities.
So whether you are looking to replace a lost fin or want to upgrade your paddle board’s performance, the THURSO SURF Paddleboard Fin Replacement is a great choice.
- This replacement fin fits a variety of paddleboards from different brands, including Hyperlite, Peak, Gili, Bluefin, and iRocker.
- Customers have reported that this fin is an exact replacement for their original fin, and they have noted no difference in performance.
- The fin is reasonably priced, making it an affordable option for those who need a replacement fin.
- Customers have appreciated the convenience of being able to purchase a replacement fin online.
- One customer noted that they wish the fin would float, indicating that this replacement fin may not float as well as the original fin.
- One customer received only one side fin instead of the set of two that was pictured and described, which could indicate a potential issue with the product listing.
Goplus 9 inch surfboard fin
|Fin Type||Center Fin|
|Compatibility||Fits almost all SUPs and longboards with ‘Universal’ or ‘US Style’ fin boxes|
|Assembly||Easy to assemble and remove without any professional tools|
|Durability||Molded with fiberglass-reinforced nylon composite materials for strength and durability|
|Performance||Provides a balance of pivot and hold for good performance in both flat water paddling and turning around|
|Package Dimensions||10.1 x 9.2 x 2.3 inches|
|Package Weight||0.36 Kilograms|
|Warranty||100% risk-free satisfaction guarantee offered by the manufacturer|
The Goplus 9 is a versatile and affordable single fin that works well for both longboards and stand-up paddle boards.
It is made from durable materials and can be quickly attached and detached from the board.
This fin’s classic design makes it effective for flatwater paddling, while also providing enough grip for carving on waves.
It is one of the top longboard fins in 2023, and it is easy to see why. Alongside the Aqua 9, THURSO SURF Paddleboard Fin Replacement, SBS 10, and Santa Barbara Surfing SBS 9, is definitely worth considering when searching for the perfect longboard fin.
- Fits perfectly on different types of boards, both inflatable and hard.
- Easy to install and remove without any professional tool.
- High quality and durable material.
- Reasonably priced.
- Comes with a key to lock it in place.
- The product image and specifications can be misleading.
- Shipping can be slow.
- Some buyers find it expensive for its brand.
|Fin Template||Classic, designed for center fins for longboards and paddle boards|
|Material||Glass Filled Nylon|
|Compatibility||Works on any SUP or surfboard with a standard 8.5″ or 10.5″ fin box|
|Known Incompatibilities||Some Inflatable SUPs such as the Bali Solstice, AquaMarine SPK2|
|Versatility||Suitable for Longboard / Surfboard / Stand Up Paddle|
|Free Fin Screw||Includes “No Tool” fin screw and plate set for easy installation|
|Brand Name||Santa Barbara Surfing|
|Package Dimensions||13.74 x 6.77 x 1.65 inches|
|Package Weight||0.32 Kilograms|
When it comes to choosing the perfect longboard fin, the SBS 10 is definitely a solid choice.
This premium fiberglass surf and SUP fin is designed to fit longboards and stand-up paddleboards with or without side fins.
Not only is it easy to install with its free no-tool fin screw, but it also offers a great balance of high-performance for an all-around surfing experience.
Plus, with its affordable price on Amazon, it is a great option for those on a budget.
Along with the other fins on the list, the SBS 10 is a top contender for anyone looking to upgrade their longboard setup.
- The fin seems to be well-made and high-quality, with customers stating that it is durable and helps with stability and tracking in the water.
- Customers have reported that the fin fits well on various types of boards, including custom-built cedar strip stand-up paddleboards, windsurfers, and paddleboards of different sizes and models.
- The seller provides good customer service, offering to replace broken fins and promptly responding to customer inquiries.
- The fin is affordable, with customers commenting that it is a great value for its price.
- One customer reported that the fin broke when it fell off their workbench, but they were able to fix it with superglue and baking soda.
- Another customer stated that the fin is not recommended for water with sandbars or shallow areas as it takes more effort to make quick turns compared to a shorter fin.
Santa Barbara Surfing SBS 9
|Product Type||“Slide In” fin for inflatable paddleboards|
|Upgraded Performance||Improves board tracking, reducing stroke changes|
|Dimensions||9″ length with standard width and sweep|
|Material||Nylon construction for stiffness and flexibility|
|Package Dimensions||10.75 x 8.54 x 1.42 inches (L x W x H)|
|Package Weight||0.22 Kilograms|
|Brand Name||Santa Barbara Surfing|
The Santa Barbara Surfing SBS 9 is a highly recommended longboard and SUP single fin that fits any fin template.
Its classic foil fin design allows for easy paddling and provides good hold for both flat water paddling and turns and noseriding.
This versatile fin is perfect for longboards and stand-up paddleboards with or without side fins.
Customers on Amazon have praised its performance, with some even saying it helped improve their surfing.
- Fits perfectly on compatible paddleboards
- Helps improve tracking of the board
- Made of quality nylon construction
- Easy to install
- Affordable price
- Not compatible with all paddleboard models (may require contacting the seller for help)
- May require modification for some boards (e.g. carving out the back piece of plastic)
FCS Performer Eco Neo Glass Fins
|Fin Style||Tri (3 Fins), Quad (4 Fins), Quad Rears (2 Fins), Tri-Quad (5 Fins)|
|Fin Material||Glass Flex|
|FCS II Compatible||Yes|
|Recommended Board Types||All|
|Performance||Balanced speed, flow & response|
|Template Design||Well-proportioned with Inside Foil Technology (IFT)|
|Ideal for||Surfers who want a reliable all-round fin delivering a combination of speed and maneuverability with flow between turns|
|Package Dimensions||9.84 x 6.34 x 1.22 inches|
|Package Weight||0.26 Kilograms|
|Item Dimensions||5 x 9 x 7 inches|
|Item Weight||0.13 Pounds|
The FCS Performer Eco Neo Glass Surfboard Fins are a fantastic addition to any longboard setup.
Made with 50% glass and bio-resin, these fins prioritize a low impact construction without sacrificing high impact performance.
Their versatile design works well for all types of waves, making them a reliable choice for surfers who want to balance speed, flow, and response.
In conjunction with the other top-rated longboard fins on the market, the FCS Performer Eco Neo Glass Surfboard Fins stand out as a sustainable and effective option that won’t let you down.
- Versatile design suitable for all types of waves
- Prioritizes low-impact construction with 50% glass and bio-resin materials
- Compatible with FCS II fin system
- Recommended for all board types
- Balanced speed, flow, and response for reliable all-round performance
- Well-proportioned template with Inside Foil Technology (IFT) for efficient water flow and maneuverability
- None mentioned by customers
Futures Fins FT1 HC Thruster
|Closure Type||Pull On|
|Fin Set Type||Thruster (3-Fin)|
|Recommended for Board Type||Twin fin surfboards|
|Included Trailer Fin||Small, for added stability|
|Riding Style||Springy, fluid, and responsive surfing|
|Area Specs||Side Fins: 19.79 sq in, Center Fin: 7.9 sq in|
|Fin Design||T1 Honeycomb, Future’s twin-fin design for down the line drive, speed and smooth rail-to-rail feel|
|Flex Pattern||Medium, for a softer feel and additional drive in softer conditions|
|Option for Trailer Fin||Yes|
|Package Dimensions||10.5 x 8 x 0.9 inches|
|Package Weight||0.34 Kilograms|
|Item Dimensions||11 x 7.5 x 1 inches|
|Item Weight||0.75 Pounds|
The Futures Fins – FT1 HC Thruster is definitely worth considering. Made with honeycomb construction, these fins offer a medium flex pattern that creates additional lift and drive for a smoother surfing experience.
The set even includes a small trailer fin for increased stability during turns.
With its twin-fin design, the FT1 HC Thruster is built for speed, down the line drive and a smooth rail-to-rail feel, making it perfect for those looking to emulate the iconic twin-fin surfing style.
When it comes to best surfboard fins, Futures is a brand that stands out for its quality and innovations in design.
- Great twin fin that works well in any board.
- Versatile and all-around template for different types of waves and conditions.
- Comes with a small trailer fin for added stability.
- Provides springy, fluid, and responsive surfing experience.
- Made by the reputable brand, Futures.
- None mentioned by customers
ANNTU Surfing SUP Fins
|Sport Type||Surfing, Stand up paddleboarding (SUP)|
|Fit Type||Slide In|
|Installation||Easy installation – no screws or tools needed, just slide in and secure|
|Material||Reinforced and light ABS plastic|
|Size||9 inches center fin|
|Stability||Increases stability and directionality of surfboard|
|Suitable for||Various kinds of inflatable surfboards including shortboard, longboard, and stand up paddleboards|
|Package Dimensions||11.18 x 10.12 x 1.97 inches|
|Package Weight||0.19 Kilograms|
|Additional Feature||Fin has a retaining clip that can be fixed to or removed from the fin base|
|Included in package||1 high quality SUP Fin|
|Service||100% satisfaction service provided by a professional inflatable paddle board fins supplier|
When it comes to longboard fins, ANNTU Surfing SUP Fins are a great option.
Not only are they versatile and suitable for various types of inflatable surfboards, but they are also easy to install. Plus, their “slide in” design means they can fit on most longboards and surfboards.
In comparison to other longboard fins on the market, the ANNTU Surfing SUP Fins provide excellent service and are a reliable choice for surfers.
When searching for the best longboard fins, it is important to consider factors such as suitability for your board type and ease of installation.
With ANNTU Surfing SUP Fins, you can rest assured that you are making a great choice.
- Good quality fins at a reasonable price.
- Easy to replace and install.
- Fits well on various brands of paddleboards, including Fitwave, Pathfinder, and Mousa.
- Can improve the stability and tracking of the paddleboard.
- Comes with a retaining clip that can be easily fixed or removed from the fin base.
- One reviewer had issues with the stopper pin getting jammed.
The Goosehill 9 SUP Fin
|Compatibility||Works on most inflatable paddle boards with Slide In fin system|
|Installation||User-friendly, no tools required|
|Durability||Stiff yet flexible, made of nylon|
|Stability||Improves tracking and maneuverability|
|After-Sale Service||Resolves problems within 12 hours|
|Package Dimensions||13.9 x 7.9 x 1.8 inches|
|Package Weight||0.32 kilograms|
The Goosehill 9 SUP Fin is a great option for those looking to replace their inflatable paddle board’s central fin.
With its wide compatibility, this detachable centre fin fits almost all SUPs and longboards with ‘Universal’ or ‘US Style’ fin boxes.
The convenience of not having to deal with screws or tools makes it an excellent choice. Made with quality nylon construction, this fin is both durable and flexible.
Its classic design provides good hold in both flat water paddling and surfing, making it a versatile choice for any rider.
Whether you are a beginner or an advanced paddler, this single fin setup is a solid option for your inflatable paddle board.
- Fits perfectly on some SUP boards like ROC Supp, Holoana paddle board, and Boga Yoga SUP according to reviewers.
- Easy to slide on and off and has a locking clip that keeps it in place, making it a convenient replacement fin.
- Can improve stability and tracking of the paddle board, and make it easier to pivot turn.
- One user reported that the fin broke off on the first use.
- Another user found it hard to line up with their board and had to jam it to secure the fin.
- May not interface 100% with the fin slot on non-Goosehill SUPs, which could have a small hydrodynamic impact.
Stand-Up Inflatable Paddle Water Fin
|Item Dimensions (LxWxH)||5 x 5 x 5 inches|
|Compatibility||Designed exclusively for use with SLSUPB10/SLSUPB20|
|Function||Acts as a stabilizer for improved speed and steering|
|Design||Hydrodynamic design complements Free-Flow paddleboards|
|Installation||Easy setup, quickly detaches and attaches|
|Style||Surfboard style for optimal water flow maneuverability|
|Mounting||Mounts to the bottom/underside of paddleboards|
|Warranty||30-day money-back guarantee from SereneLife|
|Replacement part included||SUP paddle board center water Fin|
When it comes to choosing the best fins for traditional longboards, the Stand-Up Inflatable Paddle Water Fin is a great addition to any paddle board.
Made of high-quality PVC, this fin is durable and detachable, making it an easy and versatile replacement option. It is designed for use in shallow waters, making it perfect for those who love to paddle in lakes and rivers. Plus, the quick-release system means you do not need any additional tools to install it.
When looking for the perfect longboard fin, this option should definitely be on your list.
- The fin is made of durable material.
- The replacement fin fits the SereneLife Thunder Wave Inflatable SUP Stand-Up Paddle Board SLSUPB10 or SLSUPB20 perfectly.
- The seller provides excellent customer service.
- The product meets expectations and is like the original.
- One reviewer reported that the replacement fin was smaller than the original one swapped out, which may be a problem for some users.
- One reviewer reported that the fin did not fit their SLSUPB10 board, and was too narrow with no screw to attach it.
Choosing the right Longboard fins
Longboard fins are an essential component of a longboard surfing experience. They help surfers to control their boards and achieve the desired level of maneuverability, speed, and stability.
Choosing the right longboard fin can be a daunting process. In this longboard fins guide, we will discuss the important factors to consider when shopping for longboard fins.
Type of fin system
There are three types of fin systems: single, twin, and thruster. The single fin is the oldest and most traditional of the three. It is a single, centrally located fin that offers stability and control.
The twin fin system features two smaller fins situated close to the rail. It increases maneuverability and speed and produces smooth turns.
The thruster system comprises three fins; two smaller ones on the side and a larger center fin.
The thruster system provides more speed and maneuverability than the single fin and more stability than the twin fin system.
Longboard Fin types
- Flex Fin – This type of fin is designed with a soft and flexible material. It provides better maneuverability and responsive turns that are perfect for small and mushy waves.
- Cutaway Fin – Cutaway fins have a distinctive shape that makes them different from other fins. These fins offer a more enhanced grip due to their extended surface area resulting in more control over the board.
- All-Around Fin – An all-around longboard fin is versatile and can be used in most conditions. It is a jack-of-all-trades fin that has a balanced amount of speed, grip, and maneuverability.
- Stage 6 Fin – This type of fin is a performance-oriented fin that is best suited for experienced surfers. It offers precise control with its narrower base and increased rake.
- Pivot Fin – Pivot fins are short and stubby. They allow the surfboard’s tail to turn quickly in the water, making them perfect for tricks, flips, and other maneuvers.
- D Fin – This type of fin is shaped like the letter “D” and is an excellent option for surfers who want added stability and control. Its shape helps create resistance and prevents the board from sliding sideways.
Note that each type of fin serves a specific purpose, and choosing the right fin depends on the conditions you will be surfing, your skill level, and your personal preference.
Size and Design
Fins come in various shapes and sizes. A longer fin provides more surface area and thus more stability. A shorter fin provides less drag, thus more speed. The shape of the fin affects its performance.
A swept-back design, for example, makes the board turn more sharply, while a straighter design offers more stability.
Fins are made from a range of materials like fiberglass, plastic, carbon fiber, and wood.
Fiberglass fins offer a reasonable mix of performance, affordability, and durability.
Plastic fins are cheap and durable but provide less performance.
Carbon fiber fins are lightweight and offer superior performance, but they are costly.
Wood fins may be vintage or retro but are heavy and not the most practical.
Surfer style also plays a role in choosing the right fin. A surfer who prefers to carve and turn should go for a smaller, more maneuverable fin.
A surfer who likes to go fast and straight should choose a long, straighter fin.
Some surfers prefer a particular brand of fins based on their reputation, performance, and aesthetic value. Some of the best-known fin brands include FCS, Futures, and Rainbow.
In conclusion, choosing a longboard fin depends on the surfer’s preferences, riding style, and skill level. It is crucial to test different fin types, sizes, shapes, and materials to find the ideal fin for the desired surfing experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
u003cstrongu003eWhat size fin is best for longboard?u003c/strongu003e
The best size fin for a longboard depends on the type of riding you plan to do. Generally, larger fins are better for stability and tracking in straight lines, while smaller fins provide more maneuverability and looseness. u003cbru003eu003cbru003eFin sizes can range from 4u0022 to 10u0022, with most longboards using either a single fin or a two-fin setup between 7u0022 and 9u0022.
u003cstrongu003eWhat fins are best for nose riding on a longboard?u003c/strongu003e
The best fins for nose riding on a longboard are single fins or larger, twin-tabbed side fins. Single fins will provide more stability and help the board pivot while nose riding, while larger, twin-tabbed side fins will help the board track better and hold in the wave longer.
u003cstrongu003eHow many fins should a longboard have?u003c/strongu003e
A longboard typically has two fins, one at the front and one at the back. Some boards may have additional fins, but two is the most common setup.
u003cstrongu003eWhat does a bigger fin on a longboard do?u003c/strongu003e
A larger fin on a longboard helps the board turn more easily and provides better control in turns. It also gives the board more stability, which is especially helpful for novice riders.
u003cstrongu003eWhat is a 2+1 setup when it comes to fins for longboard?u003c/strongu003e
A 2+1 fin setup longboard is a type of surfboard that has two fins on the back and one fin on the front. This type of setup offers more stability than a single fin or three-fin design, and allows for u003ca href=u0022https://longboardfun.com/best-all-terrain-longboards/u0022 data-type=u0022postu0022 data-id=u00222388u0022u003egreater maneuverabilityu003c/au003e.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eIt is popular among longboarding enthusiasts because it provides a balance between speed, control, and maneuverability.
u003cstrongu003eWhat shape of longboard fins is best for nose riding?u003c/strongu003e
The best shape of longboard fins for nose riding is a flat-tailed template. This design provides stability and control while nose riding, allowing you to stay in the wave longer.
u003cstrongu003eWhere do you put the fin for noseriding?u003c/strongu003e
The fin for u003ca href=u0022https://longboardfun.com/best-longboard-for-freestyle/u0022 data-type=u0022postu0022 data-id=u00222344u0022u003enoseridingu003c/au003e is typically placed in the middle of the board, just slightly behind the center. This helps to provide stability and keep the board tracking in a straight line while noseriding.
u003cstrongu003eCan you nose ride a pintail?u003c/strongu003e
No, you cannot nose ride a pin tail. Nose riding is a maneuver that requires a longboard surfboard, which typically has a rounded nose that allows the rider to balance and stay on the nose. u003cbru003eu003cbru003eA u003ca href=u0022https://longboardfun.com/best-pintail-longboards/u0022 data-type=u0022postu0022 data-id=u00221760u0022u003epin tail surfboardu003c/au003e does not have this rounded shape, so it is not possible to nose ride one.
u003cstrongu003eHow many fins should a beginner surfer have?u003c/strongu003e
Most u003ca href=u0022https://longboardfun.com/is-a-longboard-best-for-beginners/u0022 data-type=u0022postu0022 data-id=u00221175u0022u003ebeginner surfersu003c/au003e should have one or two fins, depending on the type of board they are riding. Longboards typically use a single fin, while shorter boards may require two or three fins. The number and size of fins used is determined by the size and shape of your board, as well as your surfing style.
I am a longboarding enthusiast and a blogger. On this blog, I share tips, tricks, and advice based on my experience. I am dedicated to helping newbies improve their skills and enjoy this fun activity to the fullest.